Sunday, August 5, 2012

Carry on

I thought that they would be here,
By my side,
My whole life long,
But now I know they won't abide.
Change had sung her song.

All 'round the world, they went away,
I am left alone.
But soft through yonder window breaks*,
A figure, towards me roams.

He motions me to follow,
As a skeptic, I resist.
He waves once more, and turns,
He takes me gently, by the wrist.

We walk across a barren land,
Till we reach some rows of chairs
With people sitting in them,
Heads in hands, and tear ducts bare.

The figure whispers quietly,
As not to disturb their sorrow,
"Here is where the lonely lie,
with no hopes of tomorrow".

"The same as you, Change sung her song,
Their past was swept away,
Discouraged, Sad, and hopeless,
It was here they'd rather stay."

"They'd given up,
When crumbled, their foundation of the past,
Not wanting to move forward,
Spells of reflection had been cast"

The figure straightened up and said,
"This fate's awaiting you"
I looked around and felt there
was something else for me to do.

I said to Him, "Is there something,
Other than all of this?"
He said, "Oh yes, but first,
We must travel through the mist"

He pointed down the road a ways,
I saw with eyes of wonder,
a cloud of smoke, black as the night
in dreams when I was younger.

"Through that?" I said,
"Is where a better future for me lies?"
He nodded, "yes", and we proceeded,
Into black and smokey skies.

We walked for miles,
Down into that dark and dreary waste,
 Until at last,
Fresh air was on my tongue to taste.

As we emerged, I realized,
 Upon a hill we stood,
A valley lay before us,
Far beyond, to see, I could.

I saw the road to travel by,
And so, continued onward,
Toward a village filled with joy and song,
I kept moving forward.

The town was called Opportunity,
Reached only be travels, far,
T'was infinite, when used correctly,
By hard work, and continuing on.

Upon arrival into town,
I noticed, by the road,
A wooden sign upon a post,
The words, worn, barely showed:

"Here lies the better future,"
For the few that, however long,
 have the courage to begin again,
The courage to carry on"

--M.R.

*Reference: William Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet Act ll Scene ll)

Little bit of a rough draft, if you have suggestions, I'm open to 'em. :)








1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big poetry person. I only dabbled in haiku. But I thought it was beautiful and I REALLY loved the last verse. You are a true talent.

    ReplyDelete