Sunday, July 1, 2012

Out There

Out there.
      There's a whole entire earth full of people who are all on a journey. One that can't be defined by anything but oneself. 
Out there,
there are people who became employees, people who became volunteers, and people who became bums. People who became recognized, people who became looked down upon. People who became celebrities to the world, people who became mathematicians, people who became whatever they wanted to be.

All these guys...became.

I don't know whether it's been the ever nearer future, or failures in the past but I have come to realize that what I want in life it to "become" something and to succeed at it.

I heard a guy say one time that we shouldn't go out into the world to be "different" but we should go out there to be us. Whatever we want "us" or "me" to be. 

That's pretty cool.

                                                       The hard part is finding out what you want that to be.

It requires perspective.
Long term perspective.
It takes patience.
It takes the will to survive.
It takes the will to make yourself better.
It takes initiative.
It takes guts.

It's the hardest thing for me. Because I'm someone that wants to be told what to do, and do it. I want someone to tell me, "you need to become an engineer" or "you need to be a doctor", so I can go to school with that already planned for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to work, I'm just not a very effective self starter I guess. 

I feel like the joy in "becoming" comes from your own desire and journey on self-discovery. Those happiest in life, I realized, have already come to know what they wish to become, and when one discovers that, I think that a whole life of happiness can be derived in the pursuit of it.

The best things in life are free.
But,
They are going to be hard,
They are going to be difficult,
They are going to be inconvenient,
They are going to be whatever God wants them to be,
And he is going to make a way for us to accomplish them,
But we need to put forth effort.

Effort,
and Diligence. It's one of my favorite words. Maybe because it needs to be worked on.

I'm not very diligent.

I can't wait until that day when I find where and what I need to be. But I need to not forget the wise words of Master Uguay:
                            "Quit... don't quit. Noodles... don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was and     with what will be. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

We need to learn to enjoy the present even in our pursuit of happiness and purpose in the future. 


I could ramble on about the pursuit of happiness and purpose in life, but I won't. I'm running out of a controllable train track of thought.........

"Out there
     There's a world outside of Yonkers
  Way out there beyond this hick town, Barnaby
           There's a slick town, Barnaby
Out there
    Full of shine and full of sparkle
         Close your eyes and see it glisten, Barnaby
    Listen, Barnaby...
  Put on your Sunday clothes,
            There's lots of world out there
   Get out the brillantine and dime cigars
 We're gonna find adventure in the evening air
            Girls in white in a perfumed night
     Where the lights are bright as the stars!"
--Put on Your Sunday Clothes (Hello Dolly)

No comments:

Post a Comment